Monday, January 23, 2006

Delhi belly...

Judy, Shannon, Pat and I at the Qutb Minar site in New Delhi.

Beautiful Humayun's Tomb in New Delhi, a fine example of Mughal architecture, though built with red sandstone, considered to be a precursor of the white marble Taj Mahal..

Emily, Trevor and I reunite halfway around the world at the Sweets Corner restaurant down the street from my hotel in New Delhi. Trev and Em departed for the snowy slopes of the Himalayas in Manali. I will join them in just over a week!




Sea-Chickens in the Superbowl!!!!
A giant shout out goes to our beloved Seattle Seahawks and to the people of the Pacific Northwest and Seahawk fans around the globe, who have suffered incalculable distress, melancholia, and suicidal tendencies over the past 30 years of the team's existence when season after season brought disappointment and heartbreak. I daresay this news means f-all to people in south asia, where Cricket seems to dominate every conversation, sports page and television newscast.

Well, the inevitable happened saturday night. Though I'm known among close friends for my ability to forcefully distend my abdomen so I look like I'm pregnant, my bloated belly saturday night was beyond my control. The ameoba's took over my gastro-tract and had a party so raucous that all other guests were forced to leave. I'll leave it at that. Needless to say, Sunday was a waste, as I was wasted with fatigue and fever... but thanks to lots of water, sleep and a miracle pill called Levaquin (thanks Dr. Nick!) I'm on the up and up today, just in time to fly to Lahore, Pakistan this evening. If we're lucky we'll catch the tail end of the anti-american protests filling the streets of Lahore with thousands of angry young men venting their rage at the Great Satan, but mostly angling for a few brief seconds of fame on CNN or Al-Jazeera. Should be interested times in Lahore. I'll file a report from the hotel tonight, apparently our hotel there has a real 'Business Center'...

Well, our time here in Delhi has been fascinating. The workshops last week went very well, with a passionate and enthusiastic group of participating english teachers from around India contributing to it's success. Of course none of this would have gone off well without the dedication and passion of our own SATTP fellows, and the tireless staff at the U.S. Educational Foundation-India (USEFI).

When we finally got some free time to enjoy the sights and sounds of Delhi, we found ourselves blown away by the grandeur, and even the grotesqueness of all aspects of life here... oh no, time is cut short again.. our taxi to the airport is here...

More from Lahore!!

And finally, a happy XXth birthday today to my dad, Barry Gordinier. Not sure he can read this up at Sun Peaks resort in eastern B.C., but keep on making those turns on the hill dad!